My Dream File Manager

Ellen Reitmayr ellen at reitmayr.net
Fri Dec 1 14:20:18 GMT 2006

> 1) Hide the details from a user on how to access their files
fully agree - and I think a redesign of the network connection wizard should
be one of the next steps.

> 2) View & Edit meta information
that's something for the context/info bar, no?
here, we still got the problem of the single click paradigm: when you select
an item, you open it, that means the information comes somewhat after the
fact. this is less severe for folders, but annoying for files.

apart from selecting double-click as the default (please not!), hover-menus as
suggested by aaron would help: http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2006/04/icons.html

> 3) Export and Import
cd burning is a thing i've passed by right now when thinking about the
bookmarks sidebar. what's the point in showing an empty cd/dvd in the file
manager if you can't do anything with it? also, burning cds belongs to file
management tasks (e.g. data transfer or backup).

> 6) Manual Grouping
while this is going to be available in the bookmarks sidebar, i really wonder
how it interacts with other parts of the desktop, e.g. the start menu. all
the concepts i've seen so far (kickoff, seele's mockups, kbfx) allow for
grouping of items and applications as well. how can we integrate this?

> 7) External interface to access the "stuff" in the manager
ah, maybe this is an answer to my above question? should this interface also
be able to receive information from other apps, e.g. start menu then?

> 8) Extensible
hm, but won't distributions ship all these plugins once they are available? i
agree some extensibility is required, but i don't think it should be too easy
to write extensions.

> 9) Addon/intigrated tools/actions that build upon the above features
some of these are for heavy, heavy power users... would be cool if we could
agree on a set of statements of what dolphin should be, and what not.

cheers,
/el

Ellen Reitmayr               ellen at reitmayr.net
Usability Beratung           http://ellen.reitmayr.net

Schlesische Str. 29-30       fon: (+49) 30-789597-53
Aufgang M                    cell: (+49) 177-3325867
10997 Berlin