My Dream File Manager

Benjamin Meyer ben+kfmdevel at meyerhome.net
Sat Dec 2 00:14:07 GMT 2006

> > 2) View & Edit meta information
>
> that's something for the context/info bar, no?
> here, we still got the problem of the single click paradigm: when you
> select an item, you open it, that means the information comes somewhat
> after the fact. this is less severe for folders, but annoying for files.
>
> apart from selecting double-click as the default (please not!), hover-menus
> as suggested by aaron would help:
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2006/04/icons.html

Most like when you right click and you get a properties dialog, I wasn't
trying to be specific about any design choice or the interface, just what
should be provided somehow.

> > 3) Export and Import
>
> cd burning is a thing i've passed by right now when thinking about the
> bookmarks sidebar. what's the point in showing an empty cd/dvd in the file
> manager if you can't do anything with it? also, burning cds belongs to file
> management tasks (e.g. data transfer or backup).

Are you talking about the sidebar stuff or commenting on the export import
section?  I wasn't talking about the sidebar, but file management tasks in
general.

> > 6) Manual Grouping
>
> while this is going to be available in the bookmarks sidebar, i really
> wonder how it interacts with other parts of the desktop, e.g. the start
> menu. all the concepts i've seen so far (kickoff, seele's mockups, kbfx)
> allow for grouping of items and applications as well. how can we integrate
> this?
>
> > 7) External interface to access the "stuff" in the manager
>
> ah, maybe this is an answer to my above question? should this interface
> also be able to receive information from other apps, e.g. start menu then?

Yes.

> > 8) Extensible
>
> hm, but won't distributions ship all these plugins once they are available?
> i agree some extensibility is required, but i don't think it should be too
> easy to write extensions.

If we simply don't include extensions with our release distros wont.  Kubuntu
doesn't ship with any of the zillion firefox plugins.

> > 9) Addon/intigrated tools/actions that build upon the above features
>
> some of these are for heavy, heavy power users... would be cool if we could
> agree on a set of statements of what dolphin should be, and what not.

Yup, the smaller the initial set the better.  It is always easier to add new
functionality and it is really hard to remove any small tiny thing.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox
Public Key: http://www.icefox.net/public_key.asc