Konqueror Compatibility Team proposal

Jesse Hannah jesse.hannah at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 00:31:43 BST 2006

On Friday, 18 August 2006 00:33, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> while this might be a great idea, compatibility is also an issue of
> standardization. I do not think Konqueror crashes on sites that are valid
> XHTML and CSS.

I've already mentioned the Gmail/Google Calendar example. I think it unlikely
that the problems with those sites come from XHTML/CSS invalidity. :P
Sometimes it does just come down to the way that some things are written in
the page and how KHTML interprets them. In Gmail's case, for example, it's
likely that most of it is problems with Javascript; another example is the
Neverwinter Nights home page, <http://nwn.bioware.com>, which has Javascript
popup menus that don't work in Konqueror without masking the browser
identification.

> So my suggestion is that you also contact the W3C QA folks to help them
> explain to sites the benefit of having valid XHTML and CSS, help to improve
> the validators and so on. This will benefit konqueror but also other
> browsers.

But this is a very good point, sometimes what appears to be a compatibility
problem will just be an error that deviates from the W3C standards. To deal
with cases like that, maybe it would be a good idea for the Compatibility
Team (maybe have a small sub-team) to work with the W3C to make a PDF
pamphlet or web page or something to inform web developers on the importance
of and how to make a web site be fully valid XHTML/CSS/etc.

Thank you for the input. :)
--
Homepage: <http://everstar.hostultra.com/>
IRC Nick: FlakPenguin at Freenode

The disciple went to his master and asked,
"Which is the most complicated game humans ever invented?"
"Chess, of course," the master replied.
"What about go?" said the disciple.
The master laughed. "Go already existed!"

Rifleman Middlecamp, Dwarf NPC: "This...is...my...BOOMSTICK!"