Konqueror Compatibility Team proposal

Maks Orlovich maksim at kde.org
Mon Aug 21 19:40:17 BST 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 19:31, Jesse Hannah wrote:
> On Friday, 18 August 2006 00:33, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > while this might be a great idea, compatibility is also an issue of
> > standardization. I do not think Konqueror crashes on sites that are valid
> > XHTML and CSS.
>
> I've already mentioned the Gmail/Google Calendar example. I think it
> unlikely that the problems with those sites come from XHTML/CSS invalidity.
> :P Sometimes it does just come down to the way that some things are written
> in the page and how KHTML interprets them. In Gmail's case, for example,
> it's likely that most of it is problems with Javascript;

GMail works fine when we identify as Mozilla. Don't know about others.

> another example is
> the Neverwinter Nights home page, <http://nwn.bioware.com>, which has
> Javascript popup menus that don't work in Konqueror without masking the
> browser identification.

That website purposefully disables menus on konqueror.

> > So my suggestion is that you also contact the W3C QA folks to help them
> > explain to sites the benefit of having valid XHTML and CSS,

That's rarely relevant. Invalid CSS is discarded predictably. HTML validity
only matters if it's truly horrible. By far and large the largest problem is
blacklisting inside JavaScript, and reliance on implementation details and
proprietary extension from IE and Mozilla.  The second largest class of
problems is where we don't know which parts of "standards" to disregard.

And I frankly don't see how doing anything with W3C will fix it in one way or
another. If people actually gave a damn, they wouldn't be using those sorts
of things.

-Maks.