Konqueror Compatibility Team proposal

Jesse Hannah jesse.hannah at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 04:23:13 BST 2006

On Saturday, 19 August 2006 06:03, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/2006/webapi/
>
> Anybody willing to help with the testsuite?

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'll check that out.

> Naturally I know that it is much more fun to see it working directly and
> hunt to the next website that doesn't work. But IMHO the Web is simply too
> big to resolve the issues only with the "make-site-work" approach.
> Sometimes, I think it is even harmful for interoperability that browsers
> are so tolerant concerning broken markup and scripting.

This was sort of brought up by Allan earlier in the thread--one thing that
we'll definitely do is look deeper into any [site-issue] bugs that the KHTML
developers decide not to deal with, as well as any major obvious ones
(Gmail), and just sites that we use every day that don't quite work right in
Konqueror (NWN and Gmail for me). So it won't exactly be just hunting from
site to site to find ones that don't work.

Plus we can also post details in a tracker of some sort about the problems
that we find and how they were resolved, to be used as an easy reference and
really eliminating the need to go from site to site to find things that don't
work. In essence, we'll be creating a database of exactly what things break
Konqueror; either ways that Javascript doesn't work, or how XHTML or CSS
errors or bad code do weird things--also direclty encouraging people to be a
lot more careful with their code and not relying on a specific browser's
tolerance for broken markup. Like I said, we'll probably have a lot of
interaction with the W3C about publicizing the importance of the various web
standards. (Hope I didn't miss anything...feel free to point out any
remaining holes in the plan, as there are still sure to be some :P )

Like I said, I'm completely open to any input anyone has. Thanks again. :)

--
Homepage: <http://everstar.hostultra.com/>
IRC Nick: FlakPenguin at Freenode

The disciple went to his master and asked,
"Which is the most complicated game humans ever invented?"
"Chess, of course," the master replied.
"What about go?" said the disciple.
The master laughed. "Go already existed!"

Rifleman Middlecamp, Dwarf NPC: "This...is...my...BOOMSTICK!"