Konqueror Compatibility Team proposal

Jesse Hannah jesse.hannah at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 01:23:32 BST 2006

On Monday, 21 August 2006 15:40, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > the Neverwinter Nights home page, <http://nwn.bioware.com>, which has
> > Javascript popup menus that don't work in Konqueror without masking the
> > browser identification.
>
> That website purposefully disables menus on konqueror.

I saw that from looking at the code, I hadn't considered that before in that
case but thought that it might sometimes be that way. It's probably because
of questions about whether or not it works in Konqueror. So, what we'd do is
tell Bioware that yes, the popups do work in Konqueror, and have them remove
that bit of code that disables them for Konqueror.

> > > So my suggestion is that you also contact the W3C QA folks to help them
> > > explain to sites the benefit of having valid XHTML and CSS,
>
> That's rarely relevant. Invalid CSS is discarded predictably. HTML validity
> only matters if it's truly horrible. By far and large the largest problem is
> blacklisting inside JavaScript, and reliance on implementation details and
> proprietary extension from IE and Mozilla.  The second largest class of
> problems is where we don't know which parts of "standards" to disregard.
>
> And I frankly don't see how doing anything with W3C will fix it in one way
> or another. If people actually gave a damn, they wouldn't be using those
> sorts of things.

This gets into the whole discussion of what should be standardized and what
shouldn't be, and what good it does, and I don't really feel like doing that.
The short version is, problematic code doesn't meet the standards and causes
viewing errors. Code that meets the standards is guaranteed to work. Code
that isn't directly checked against the standards but is at least written by
someone who knows good XHTML/CSS coding conventions (derived from but not as
scrict as the standards) (example: anything that isn't FrontPage) will still
work.

So we'll at least be educating people on what not to do when developing a web
page; they can decide to listen or not, but lots of web developers I'd be
willing to bet would be really glad to hear that there's something wrong with
their site that makes certain people unable to view it and would take
suggestions on how to fix it (most of them do give a damn but just don't know
enough about what to do). The W3C interaction will be to decide what the most
common errors and the most important good XHTML/CSS conventions are that we
should focus on telling web developers about, then refer them to the full
standards if they want more detailed information.

As far as the JavaScript blacklisting and IE/Mozilla reliance, that's just
checking with the KHTML/Konqueror developers to make SURE that what's blocked
works in Konqueror, then telling the web developers that it works and that
Konqueror doesn't need to be blacklisted (like the NWN site example above).

--
Homepage: <http://everstar.hostultra.com/>
IRC Nick: FlakPenguin at Freenode

The disciple went to his master and asked,
"Which is the most complicated game humans ever invented?"
"Chess, of course," the master replied.
"What about go?" said the disciple.
The master laughed. "Go already existed!"

Rifleman Middlecamp, Dwarf NPC: "This...is...my...BOOMSTICK!"