Anyone working on a "portal page" blocker for Konqueror?

Bernd Brandstetter bbrand at freenet.de
Sat Oct 8 09:12:50 BST 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 20:57, Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> I suggest adding a feature similar to the "pop-up" blocker to Konqueror.
> This mechanism should be able to suppress the display of portal pages
> that some internet providers have installed to enforce the delivery of
> advertisments.
>
> Most private internet users (at least in Germany) are now or in the near
> future affected by this problem (here a press release concerning some
> German providers like 1&1 and GMX:
> http://www.gmx.net/de/unternehmen/presse/pressemeldung/987748.html [in
> German]). The text clearly shows where they want to go and what they
> think about their customers.
>
> The technology used by such providers is:
>  - they deviate the first http or https (!!) request after the dial up
> connection has been established to some portal page.
>  - example: the user tries to open http://www.kde.org but ends up on a
> portal page that he most likely never wanted to see.
>  - such portals also create problems for online-banking or remote
> control applictions (they deviate https too!!).

There is an easier solution which is also not limited to a certain browser
and furthermore, still allows to go to the provider's portal page if
requested:

I have solved this with a simple Tcl script which is executed by kppp after
connect. It does a GET on the provider's üportal page (freenet.de) and
cancels the communication as soon as the first reply packet has been
received.

Here's the script:

#!/usr/bin/tclsh
package require http
proc httpCallback { socket token } {
  ::http::reset $token
}
::http::geturl www.freenet.de -handler httpCallback

I'm using this for several years now without problems.

Regards,
Bernd