Anyone working on a "portal page" blocker for Konqueror?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sun Oct 9 16:46:55 BST 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 07:33, Martin Konold wrote:

> >    They're not hijacking HTTPS.  They're hijacking DNS.  If the user
> > types "https://www.example.com/", gets the page for the ISP,
>
> To my knowlede these ISPs don't modify DNS simply because poisened DNS is
> difficult to control. (DNS information is arbitrarily cached).

  They run the DNS server.  They can do what they want.  The ones I have seen
just return the same IP address for any host you query until you have
authenticated or gone through whatever steps they require.

> What they typically do is that they use a transparent proxy on their router
> which routes traffic according to the port number.

   That's also possible.

> Technically putting a transparent proxy in between a https connection means
> a man-in-the-middle-attack and Konqueror detects this.

  Right.  It won't work with https.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/