Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 28 17:37:55 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 15:17, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> Dne pátek 25 listopad 2005 07:01 Aaron J. Seigo napsal(a):
> > i'm so tempted to just get rid of them.
>
>  You'll have to pry it from my dead cold hands.

my favourite response to this hackneyed Heston-ism: "that could be arranged."

>  Or have a good reason for
> dropping it, that should be about as difficult.

a) they are non-standard and therefore don't work with all apps creating an
inconsistent environment
b) they employ a non-standard hack to work in the first place
c) they are of dubious value from a usability perspective
d) it's yet more code to support that does something of questionable value.

the solution may be to move the menubar applet to extragear so that it isn't
in a place where it can be confused as an integral and well-oiled part of
KDE.

> > they are such a friggin' hack, so buggy, many apps don't work with it ...
> > i tire with the problems it brings
>
>  I'm not aware of any serious problems with it, but if there are any
> bugreports for it, feel free to reassign them to me. Of course, unless the
> real problem is it breaks Kicker's hacks.

true, the primary source of bugs was the poor implementation that was dumped
into kicker. and yes, it doesn't work well with many of kicker's
"features" (leading me to do things like actually disable theming altogether
on the menubar).

i also agree that you and i have different tollerances for certain problems.
for me, having a global menubar that only works with some apps and not others
is a problem. to me, that makes it a joke. to you, that's ok.

> > and really don't believe there is any benefit whatsoever to them in this
> > day and age.
>
>  You should try to use them for a while (and that's not a week).

i have. i also used to use a mac every day for something like a decade before
i moved over to linux on the desktop. i'm aware of what a top menu is like,
and i'm well aware of the limitations of them, primary among them the
dissasociation between the context (the window) and the control (the menu)
followed closely by the diminishing importance of menus in applications
(begging the question of why we would put them in such a prominent place).

--
Aaron J. Seigo