Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Nov 25 19:40:23 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 06:28, Germain Garand wrote:
> Le Vendredi 25 Novembre 2005 07:01, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > i also think the forward/back buttons look beyond ugly where they are in
> > the screenshot. it forces the user to separate the navigation into
> > "common navigation" (as defined by us) and "less common" and move their
> > mouse into very different places.
>
> true... especially when one "common" action (back) raises the odds that a
> "less common" one will happen immediately after (reload).

   Maybe reload and/or stop need to be moved too.  I'm open to suggestions.

> Further problems with this placement of buttons to the left of location
> bar:
>
> - the tendancy is to make creative use of the location bar's space, so it
> really ought to use all the horizontal real-estate it can get so as not to
> feel over-constrained.
>    e.g.: - display long URLs + the associated security informations
>          - display long URLS + title of page when doing auto-completion

  Displaying URLs is one thing we want to try to avoid in the sense that we
don't want users to rely on it.  This is one of the biggest phishing vectors
right now.

> - buttons might be much taller/bigger than the location bar, when using e.g
> Large  32x32 icons + Text under icons (I often use that 'playskool' setup
> as it's very accessible and looks nice)... not everyone value screen
> real-estate over accessibility.
> In this case, the location bar will feel completely lop-sided.

  Maybe, we need to address that.  Very good point.

> (The same remark applies to the throbber, by the way... it needs to be
> visible, so taller that the location bar...
> though it could also be made rectangular and akin to a progress bar...
> Apple's Safari did that and even used the location bar as a throbber, which
> is dubious, but good food for thought... we could maybe use the search bar
> as a combo widget... it is not used anymore once the URL start's loading,
> so it could be dynamically replaced)

  I'm not so sure how useful a bigger or more visible throbber is.  We need
one, but I think a small one is just as good.  IMHO.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/