Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Fri Nov 25 11:28:56 GMT 2005

Le Vendredi 25 Novembre 2005 07:01, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> i also think the forward/back buttons look beyond ugly where they are in
> the screenshot. it forces the user to separate the navigation into "common
> navigation" (as defined by us) and "less common" and move their mouse into
> very different places.

true... especially when one "common" action (back) raises the odds that a
"less common" one will happen immediately after (reload).

Further problems with this placement of buttons to the left of location bar:

- the tendancy is to make creative use of the location bar's space, so it
really ought to use all the horizontal real-estate it can get so as not to
feel over-constrained.
   e.g.: - display long URLs + the associated security informations
         - display long URLS + title of page when doing auto-completion

- buttons might be much taller/bigger than the location bar, when using e.g
Large  32x32 icons + Text under icons (I often use that 'playskool' setup as
it's very accessible and looks nice)... not everyone value screen real-estate
over accessibility.
In this case, the location bar will feel completely lop-sided.

(The same remark applies to the throbber, by the way... it needs to be
visible, so taller that the location bar...
though it could also be made rectangular and akin to a progress bar...
Apple's Safari did that and even used the location bar as a throbber, which is
dubious, but good food for thought... we could maybe use the search bar as a
combo widget... it is not used anymore once the URL start's loading, so it
could be dynamically replaced)

Germain