Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Thu Nov 24 18:31:22 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 24. November 2005 17:12 schrieb George Staikos:
> Here's a first-attempt mock-up at the Konqueror 4 web browser UI.  I'm sure
> there is lots of work to be done, but the key points:

As I'm not to inhibit progress on UI, I'm actually more interested in this
more general question, not restricted to Konqueror:

Will toolbars be finally customisable? And I mean *really* customisable. Real
in the sense that they will *pertain* their changes indefinitely, even over
version upgrades. Up to now, customisations were *forgotten* the moment the
rc-version was upgraded.

Now to some specific remarks:

> 1) URL bar is now permanent and unremovable

Permanent and unremoveable as in "not accessible by the content (i. e.
webpage)", or as in "not being able to be manipulated by the user"?

> 2) Statusbar is permanent and unremovable

Same like (1)

> 3) Almost all tools are moved to a removable toolbar that is optional
> 4) Bookmark bar can go beside this toolbar -> shrinks vertical footprint
> 5) Search is prominent

Why is there such a big space between the search input bar and the address
bar?

> 6) Security is displayed through the URL bar

Ok.

> 7) No features had to be removed except the "Go" button, which is quite
> strange in concept I think.  No reason why it can't be added back

Not removing functionality is the way to go. Yet I fear that the extra toolbar
will vanish one day.

> Issues:
> 1) Would like to have the throbber move to the menubar on the very right

Is the menu bar finally treated like a toolbar in Qt4? Then I'd see no
technical issue.
However, currently the throbber is taller than the menubar. Moving it there
would make the whole menubar taller, wasting vertical screen real estate.

> 2) The search combo could expand and shrink the URL combo when it has the
> focus and while as search is in progress, reverting when it loses focus.

I think you mean horizontally. Then it makes sense.

> 3) Menus need more reduction/refactoring
> 4) Could this work for file management too?

No. Moving upwards is at least as important as moving backwards (if not even
more). If you really want to perform this drastical change, Konqueror should
also "change personality" between different parts like IE does now.

> 5) The [X] button beside location is too clickable

And the problem is?

> 6) Do we need the Location: label?

Yes. How else could you dnd an url into the location bar if you have no tab
bar.

mfg
	Leo