Question on HTTP-Identity chatter

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Nov 4 16:43:34 GMT 2005

Rigo Wenning wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>for some EU - Project on identity management I have to find an answer to
>the following question:
>
>Konqueror can have different tabs and windows. Konqueror also allows me
>to set the user agent HTTP-string (browser chatter) to some other value
>for selected sites. I assume that all the windows/tabs are following
>the same preferences (set in the settings dialog)
>
>For the Project in question, it is now important to know whether it
>would be possible to handle multiple identities. Would it be possible
>to have a window1 identifying to site example.com identifying as konq
>while having a second window to example.com identifying as opera (only
>as example)? Or use cookie1 on window1 and only cookie2 on window2? I
>know that this is not possible today, but is there an architectural
>barrier to it? (E.g. shared memory management etc)

It's possible, but not with current Konqueror code. Konqueror lets
kio_http handle that, so it's the same identity in all tabs and windows.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."