KDEML workshop at aKademy 2005

Eric Laffoon sequitur at easystreet.com
Thu May 5 08:20:09 BST 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 09:36, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 May 2005 15:39, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2005 16:21 schrieb Allan Sandfeld Jensen:
> > > I was thinking it would nice to have a workshop meeting at aKademy
> > > between KHTML and the KSVG2 people to discuss using KDOM and also
> > > discuss the future and direction of KHTML.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > Yes!
>
> Suggestion: perhaps it could be an idea to broaden the scope. I think
> Quanta will switch to KDOM and some of its plans I've heard about is
> closely related to KDOM development, and hence affecting other technologies
> building upon it(KHTML).
>
> For example, validation for document editing had been of interest, and the
> implementation approach would likely be a creation of an XML Schema stack,
> accessed via DOM's schema/typing interfaces -- and that's KDOM relevant,
> and affects future KHTML related technologies such as XForms, XSL-T, and
> what not(because it's data typing, the XPath 2.0 data model).
>
> I think it is important to remember that XML's scope is wide, not tied to
> the traditional view of web browsers, and that KDOM has per design that
> genericness.
>

> Cheers,
>
>   Frans

If I may interject...

At many points we have had to make design decisions based upon what is
available and what our objectives are. Often there are some very cool things
being developed in KDE that we would like to use, but we find that the scope
is not wide enough or there is some small factor indicating the need to
develop a tool or library ourselves. I realize there will be factors where
our developing some things completely may be indicated, but in the area of
the XML features you're talking about it would be vastly preferable if we
could insure that we could interact and use the great tools being developed
by other KDE developers.

Because a lot of what we do is to work with both DOM and underlying scripting
some complications can be involved in our needs. However I'd like to not only
have our development teams meet at aKademy, I'd like to have ongoing
communication in these areas. Part of the reason we have not adopted more of
the really great work done by KDE developers is that by the time we are aware
of it we are too late and it may be slightly less than workable as a
solution. I'd really like to see if it's possible to collaborate in the
spirit of KDE reusability. At the least we could explore what it would take
to make these tools and libraries interoperable.

Cheers,

Eric