[quanta-devel] Re: KDEML workshop at aKademy 2005

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu May 5 08:16:51 BST 2005

On Thursday 05 May 2005 07:20, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 May 2005 09:36, Frans Englich wrote:

> > > Yes!
> >
> > Suggestion: perhaps it could be an idea to broaden the scope. I think
> > Quanta will switch to KDOM and some of its plans I've heard about is
> > closely related to KDOM development, and hence affecting other
> > technologies building upon it(KHTML).
> >
> > For example, validation for document editing had been of interest, and
> > the implementation approach would likely be a creation of an XML Schema
> > stack, accessed via DOM's schema/typing interfaces -- and that's KDOM
> > relevant, and affects future KHTML related technologies such as XForms,
> > XSL-T, and what not(because it's data typing, the XPath 2.0 data model).
> >
> > I think it is important to remember that XML's scope is wide, not tied to
> > the traditional view of web browsers, and that KDOM has per design that
> > genericness.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> >   Frans
>
> If I may interject...
>
> At many points we have had to make design decisions based upon what is
> available and what our objectives are. Often there are some very cool
> things being developed in KDE that we would like to use, but we find that
> the scope is not wide enough or there is some small factor indicating the
> need to develop a tool or library ourselves. I realize there will be
> factors where our developing some things completely may be indicated, but
> in the area of the XML features you're talking about it would be vastly
> preferable if we could insure that we could interact and use the great
> tools being developed by other KDE developers.
>
> Because a lot of what we do is to work with both DOM and underlying
> scripting some complications can be involved in our needs. However I'd like
> to not only have our development teams meet at aKademy, I'd like to have
> ongoing communication in these areas.
[...]

Then I say I can't agree more: full speed ahead.

IIRC, the KDOM developers once thought about a "kxml-devel" mailing list to
solve the problem that occur when generic XML-discussions takes place on
ksvg-devel: only a few people notice it. However, IIRC, it was concluded it
was not the right time..

But now it is, perhaps?

What I in more concrete terms suggests, is the creation of a new mailinglist
"kxml-devel" whose scope is:

* KDE & XML. While kfm-devel is for topics /only/ relevant for
khtml/Konqueror, and quanta-devel only applies for Quanta(same for
ksvg-devel), kxml-devel is for topics relevant for any project somehow
involved in XML. Hence, a post on kxml-devel applies for KSVG2, KHTML, and
Quanta, and so forth.

* Compared to for instance kfm-devel and kde-core-devel, the roof is a bit
higher in terms of on-topicness. That appears to be what's needed, and I also
think the people involved can handle it..

I think the list makes sense. The problems to be addressed are broad and
vague; hence, the scope is equally undefined.

What do people think?

Cheers,

		Frans