dcop question

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Aug 24 17:47:59 BST 2005

On Friday 19 August 2005 00:01, Dave Feustel wrote:
> What I have discovered is that dcop will return
> ids of instances of konqueror even after I have
> closed all of my konqueror windows.

That's due to the preloading feature, one or more konqueror processes are kept around
so that you get a window faster next time you ask for one. Configurable in kcontrol.

> Dcop will
> often return ids of more instances of konsole than
> I have konsole windows running. What is the
> reason for the extra instances?

!?? No idea. Can't see that.

> I also see references to kio-uiserver and kioexec.
> What do these two kde programs do?

kio-uiserver shows KIO progress windows.
kioexec downloads a remote file into a temp file, hands the temp file to a non-network-transparent
application (usually a non-KDE one), and watches until the app exits; when it does, kioexec checks
the modification time on the temp file and offers to re-upload it. Try it with associating xedit to
text/plain files ;)