PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Rigo Wenning rigo at w3.org
Mon Sep 20 20:13:11 BST 2004

Am Monday 20 September 2004 19:18 verlautbarte Waldo Bastian :
> On Monday 20 September 2004 18:20, David Faure wrote:
> > So one wouldn't be able to type a HTTP URL in the file manager's
> > location bar, or vice versa?
>
> It would open the URL in the other application (in another window).
>
> > IMHO this is going too far, and losing one of KDE's
> > greatest innovations.
>
> I don't care about innovation. I care about usability.

Usability question let to the innovation in the first place and
currently I see no compelling arguments for your solution.

> Having such restriction would allow us to better tune the UIs of the
> two applications for their respective roles. It's also a conceptually
> clear way to switch between the two profiles because the two profiles
> would have separate windows, separate icons and a separate
> caption/name.

What you need is a second icon with a file management symbol. Going
further is throwing out the bath with the baby IMHO.

Best

Rigo