PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Sep 20 18:18:28 BST 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 18:20, David Faure wrote:
> So one wouldn't be able to type a HTTP URL in the file manager's location
> bar, or vice versa?

It would open the URL in the other application (in another window).

> IMHO this is going too far, and losing one of KDE's
> greatest innovations.

I don't care about innovation. I care about usability.

> OTOH I agree that (from the number of various bug reports reported to that)
> the app should basically have two modes [which we pretty much have already,
> with the code looking for the filemanagement and webbrowsing profiles], but
> finding how and when to automatically switch from one mode to the other is
> the big problem. This is still a much smaller problem than not being able
> to do both things in the same program at all, which looks like imposing
> useless restrictions on what the user can do
> ("sorry, no directory browsing allowed here, please use kfm").

Having such restriction would allow us to better tune the UIs of the two
applications for their respective roles. It's also a conceptually clear way
to switch between the two profiles because the two profiles would have
separate windows, separate icons and a separate caption/name.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org  |  Wanted: Talented KDE developer  |  bastian at suse.com