PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Datschge datschge at gmx.de
Mon Sep 20 23:49:24 BST 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 14:18, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2004 18:20, David Faure wrote:
> > So one wouldn't be able to type a HTTP URL in the file manager's
> > location bar, or vice versa?
>
> It would open the URL in the other application (in another window).

Please not when Konqueror (regardless of file or internet browser) is
told to embed the respective file format by the respective MIME types
embedding setting.

> > IMHO this is going too far, and losing one of KDE's
> > greatest innovations.
>
> I don't care about innovation. I care about usability.

Is spawning a new window instead reusing the current one better
usability (honest question)?

> > OTOH I agree that (from the number of various bug reports
> > reported to that) the app should basically have two modes [which
> > we pretty much have already, with the code looking for the
> > filemanagement and webbrowsing profiles], but finding how and
> > when to automatically switch from one mode to the other is the
> > big problem. This is still a much smaller problem than not being
> > able to do both things in the same program at all, which looks
> > like imposing useless restrictions on what the user can do
> > ("sorry, no directory browsing allowed here, please use kfm").
>
> Having such restriction would allow us to better tune the UIs of
> the two applications for their respective roles. It's also a
> conceptually clear way to switch between the two profiles because
> the two profiles would have separate windows, separate icons and a
> separate caption/name.

There was a discussion about linking profiles to protocols before
already. When that were implemented, couldn't it work in a similar
fashion like the above mentioned MIME types embedding settings
allowing the users/distributors/sysadmins themselves to use the same
or different windows per protocol just like they can do per MIME type
already?

Cheers, Datschge