PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Sep 20 20:45:01 BST 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 00:49, Datschge wrote:
> > > IMHO this is going too far, and losing one of KDE's
> > > greatest innovations.
> >
> > I don't care about innovation. I care about usability.
>
> Is spawning a new window instead reusing the current one better
> usability (honest question)?

That's indeed the key question.

1) Currently when you have the file-manager profile and you enter a http URL
you stay with the file-manager profile.
2) One possibility is to change from the file-manager profile to the
web-browser profile when that happens (let's call that "morphing")
3) The other possibility is to open such URL in a new window that operates
with the web-browser profile.

> There was a discussion about linking profiles to protocols before
> already. When that were implemented, couldn't it work in a similar
> fashion like the above mentioned MIME types embedding settings
> allowing the users/distributors/sysadmins themselves to use the same
> or different windows per protocol just like they can do per MIME type
> already?

Well, yes, you would need to have some sort of rule-set for when to switch to
the other profile if you go for option 2) or 3) listed above.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org  |  Wanted: Talented KDE developer  |  bastian at suse.com