PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Mon Sep 20 06:28:24 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 20:37, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 03:18, Dawit A. wrote:
> > Okay I have an updated ui file. Although I button the label besided the
> > lineedit to not waste space, I still kept the edit box up top. IMHO, it
> > just completely clashes with the HOME URL entry and makes it look crowded
> > when it is placed at the bottom.
>
> sorry, this is just *very* bad usability. you have put selection in BETWEEN
> the editable fields. worse, some of the editable fields are _before_ (e.g.
> "prior to", visually) the selection. no, the editable fields must be kept
> together.

That is an acceptable point.

> moreover, but having some labels to the left of what it editable and some
> (or rather, one) above it hurts visual encoding because you now have two
> distinct indentation and relative positioning cues for the user to figure
> out.

Ehhh... It was like that before, but with the current change both labels are
to the left of the editable fields ???

> > I however moved the buttons to the side.
> > This means only "close" will be left on the bottom.:
>
> why do we need a Rename button? isn't clicking on the profile, changing the
> name and clicking Save enough?

No. If you do that then a new profile is created instead of the the selected
one being renamed.

> and Save should be specific to the dialog,
> not each profile (to keep consistency with other such dialogs) and should
> therefore be at the bottom as par usual.

Not really, but I have not particular issue of it being on the bottom.

> the Delete button does make sense nearer to the profile list. in fact, one
> may even wish to put the profile list to the left, with the Delete button
> directly beneath it, and the edit fields to the right of it.

Huh ? You completely lost me here...

> and the profiles box really should have a header with a single column
> defining what is in that list ("Profiles").

In order to add just a header one has to use listview when a lisbox would have
sufficed. I personally think that is completely unnecessary. How about
grouping.

BTW, I was completely afraid of this happening. Honestly, I was not interested
in discussing the finer points of "Usability" when I created this patch. I
was only interested in attempting to solve a single issue. As such, I will
simply convert the current config dialog to a UI file and implement the "Home
URL" functionality if there is consensus for that particular feature. After
that people are welcome to do whatever they want with the UI.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.