PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 20 01:37:36 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 03:18, Dawit A. wrote:
> Okay I have an updated ui file. Although I button the label besided the
> lineedit to not waste space, I still kept the edit box up top. IMHO, it
> just completely clashes with the HOME URL entry and makes it look crowded
> when it is placed at the bottom.

sorry, this is just *very* bad usability. you have put selection in BETWEEN
the editable fields. worse, some of the editable fields are _before_ (e.g.
"prior to", visually) the selection. no, the editable fields must be kept
together.

moreover, but having some labels to the left of what it editable and some (or
rather, one) above it hurts visual encoding because you now have two distinct
indentation and relative positioning cues for the user to figure out.

> I however moved the buttons to the side.
> This means only "close" will be left on the bottom.:

why do we need a Rename button? isn't clicking on the profile, changing the
name and clicking Save enough? and Save should be specific to the dialog, not
each profile (to keep consistency with other such dialogs) and should
therefore be at the bottom as par usual.

the Delete button does make sense nearer to the profile list. in fact, one may
even wish to put the profile list to the left, with the Delete button
directly beneath it, and the edit fields to the right of it.

and the profiles box really should have a header with a single column defining
what is in that list ("Profiles").

--
Aaron J. Seigo