PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 20 01:30:21 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 03:08, Dawit A. wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 13:10, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > well, that would sort of be the point. they'd enter it themselves. having
> > it save a URL that they is no longer "in focus" (it's in another window
> > at this point) is poor form. they should simply copy and paste whatever
> > URL they want.
>
> What about inconsistency ? One way you can change the "Saved URL" another
> way you  have to assume that the current settings are saved ?

sorry, i wasn't clear enough. =/ i see the reason for the checkbox, but it's
cryptic right now... it should say something like "Save the current
location(s) shown below in profile" and then have the list of URLs below.

> > but with tabs it makes the problem not so straightforward, as you noted
> > above. is it possible to at least show which URL(s) would be saved? if
> > they select this option? at the moment it's pretty opaque what is going
> > to be saved there. (i know this from having taught people how to use View
> > Profiles in konqueror. =/ )
>
> But which URL do you want to show them when they have multiple tabs ?

all of them. we can do like kmessagebox does and if there more than N lines
(or in this case, URLs) use a textview, otherwise just list them with a
qlabel. this allows showing the relevant information without the danger of
unbounded dialog expansion. but showing the user what is about to happen is
pretty important.

this label/textview would, of course, enable/disable with the checkbox being
marked or not.

> > if so, may i inquire as to where this experience came from (since this is
> > a new feature for KDE)?
>
> Proxy setup, temporary disabling of cookie configuration from the
> khtmlsettings plugin, etc etc...

i'm not particularly sure proxy and cookie handling behaviour would carry over
to the home button since both are network settings with good reasons to
override temporarily. what reason is there to override the home button url?

--
Aaron J. Seigo