PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 22:08:08 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 13:10, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> well, that would sort of be the point. they'd enter it themselves. having
> it save a URL that they is no longer "in focus" (it's in another window at
> this point) is poor form. they should simply copy and paste whatever URL
> they want.

What about inconsistency ? One way you can change the "Saved URL" another way
you  have to assume that the current settings are saved ?

> but with tabs it makes the problem not so straightforward, as you noted
> above. is it possible to at least show which URL(s) would be saved? if they
> select this option? at the moment it's pretty opaque what is going to be
> saved there. (i know this from having taught people how to use View
> Profiles in konqueror. =/ )

But which URL do you want to show them when they have multiple tabs ?

> > > why is Home URL optional (a checkbox?). would leaving the text edit
> > > blank be good enough to denot "none"?
> >
> > Very simple. From experience I know that people want to disable the
> > option, but not loose the last URL they typed. That way one can
> > temporarily disable and reenable the option without loosing the previous
> > URL.
>
> i'm not sure i understand... you are saying that people want their home
> button to *not* have a profile-specific home for a limited period of time,
> but then want to re-enable it with the same (previous) URL that it had
> before turning it off?

Yes.

> if so, may i inquire as to where this experience came from (since this is a
> new feature for KDE)?

Proxy setup, temporary disabling of cookie configuration from the
khtmlsettings plugin, etc etc...

> this just seems to be a very fringe sort of case, one that makes the
> interface more complex ... the Home URL never gets changed by simply
> picking "Save View Profile", right? it's *always* changed by the user only?

Yes and yes.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.