PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 11:39:12 BST 2004

Hi Dawit,

On Saturday 18 September 2004 12:01, kfm-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know this issue has been a point of much discussion as can be seen by a
> bug report with high number of votes and comments (BR# 8333) as well as a
> recent article on the dot that show how to hack around a solution.
>
> With the attached patch my intention is not to start another long debate,
> but to see if we can easily solve this problem without a need for a hack
> and without breaking the current behavior while at the same time allowing
> people to change what the "HOME" button does per profile. I have actually
> not coded up the GUI changes yet. It is going to be pending the outcome of
> this discussion. I do however have a UI file that shows what the changes to
> the profile config dialog might look like:
>
> http://members.cox.net/kdelists/screenshots/konq-profile-dlg.png
> http://members.cox.net/kdelists/uifiles/konq_profiledlg_ui.ui
>
> Any suggestions, comments, feedback, opposition, support, icecream, cake
> and cookies are all welcome...

Nice that finally somebody does something about it :-)
Some comments:

your patch assigns a home url to a profile. Now you can switch in one profile
between web browsing and file management. A per-profile home will also take
you to the web-home if you are currently looking at your local files. Another
way to do this would be to have a profile-global web- and filemanagement url.
The web home is used if your current url in http/https, the file management
url is used for other protocols. I don't know if this would be better, just
an idea.

Now a comment to the implementation: is it necessary to reload the profile
file everytime in slotHome() (searching the file, loading the file and
parsing it) ?  It would be better to do this only when loading the profile I
think.

Bye
Alex