PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 18:10:50 BST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 11:09, Dawit A. wrote:
> On Friday 17 September 2004 22:31, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday 17 September 2004 06:31, Dawit A. wrote:
> > > Any suggestions, comments, feedback, opposition, support, icecream,
> > > cake and cookies are all welcome...
> >
> > my 0.02 follows:
> >
> > having the Profile Name edittable _above_ the list of profiles while all
> > the other items are below probably isn't great. it should be moved down
> > below with the other items.
> >
> > it would be great if the "Save URLs in profile" actually noted which URL
> > was being saved. in fact, it would be nice to just have it as an
> > edittable field so that it's obviously what is happening. currently one
> > has to grok that it's going to suck in the current URL from the window
> > you called this dialog from.
>
> The main problem with this is that if your profile has multiple tabs, then
> we are talking about multiple URLs not a single one. As such having a
> single URL entry box does not make sense.

ah, tabs... right. blah.

> Another problem is that putting
> the URL will unduly influence people into thinking that that specific URL,
> just like the HOME URL, will get saved instead of the whatever happens to
> be visible at the time they click on Settings->Save View Profile "..."
> without coming into this dialog box...

well, that would sort of be the point. they'd enter it themselves. having it
save a URL that they is no longer "in focus" (it's in another window at this
point) is poor form. they should simply copy and paste whatever URL they
want.

but with tabs it makes the problem not so straightforward, as you noted above.
is it possible to at least show which URL(s) would be saved? if they select
this option? at the moment it's pretty opaque what is going to be saved
there. (i know this from having taught people how to use View Profiles in
konqueror. =/ )

> > why is Home URL optional (a checkbox?). would leaving the text edit blank
> > be good enough to denot "none"?
>
> Very simple. From experience I know that people want to disable the option,
> but not loose the last URL they typed. That way one can temporarily disable
> and reenable the option without loosing the previous URL.

i'm not sure i understand... you are saying that people want their home button
to *not* have a profile-specific home for a limited period of time, but then
want to re-enable it with the same (previous) URL that it had before turning
it off?

if so, may i inquire as to where this experience came from (since this is a
new feature for KDE)?

this just seems to be a very fringe sort of case, one that makes the interface
more complex ... the Home URL never gets changed by simply picking "Save View
Profile", right? it's *always* changed by the user only?

--
Aaron J. Seigo