Konqy: linking and locking views, and problems with some profiles

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Mar 3 21:33:32 GMT 2004

Hi,

I think the "File Preview" profile should be removed as it is now. It doesn't
work as one would expect.
It opens with the directory tree, the home dir with the icon view, locked to
this location, and an empty view linked to the icon view. If I click a file
in the icon view it is displayed in the right view. That's ok.
But if I click a directory either in the dir tree or in the icon view, the
icon view stays in the directory, and the former preview view enters the
selected dir and displays its contents. Now this feels really not correct.
The icon view should change into this dir and the preview view should stay
empty or something.
It behaves this way since the icon view is locked to the start location.

What can we do about this ?
1. remove the File Preview profile
2. change the semantics of "Lock to location" in some not yet known way
3. add a special type of view for previewing, which will be used by konqy for
displaying files

Now to the "Midnight Commander" profile.
When started as it is, it doesn't work neither as expected. All three views
are linked, i.e. if I change the directory in one of the two dir views,
*both* dir views change into this directory. This feels like a bug.It behaves
this way, since all three views are linked. If I unlink one of the two dir
views, it works better, but changing the dir in the unlinked view doesn't
change the dir in the terminal anymore.

What can be done about this ?
1. change the profile so that not all three views are linked
2. write an advanced view-behaviour editor dialog

Next issue:
Open konqy, and add a tab page, so that konqy has a total of two views. Now if
you select the Link-chain-box on the tab, and then change the url, the other
view changes to the same url, since these two views are linked.
If you do the same but with three tabs, no views are linked if you enable the
Link-chain-icon. This should behave consistently.

What can we do about this ?
1. limit the linking to views on one tab

Now some thoughts about the "Advanced view behaviour editor dialog". It could
show the views of the current tab, which can be selected. If you select one,
you could have options like "Lock this view to the current location" and
"Make this view follow to the same url as the view you will select next"

What was actually the main intention behind the lock and link features ? AFAIK
these features still stem from 2.0. Maybe enough things have changed so that
they should be reworked.

Bye
Alex