Fwd: Re: Fwd: kdebase/kcontrol/ebrowsing/plugins/ikws/searchproviders

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Mon Jun 7 01:35:44 BST 2004

On Sunday 06 June 2004 19:24, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Dnia niedziela, 6 czerwca 2004 23:37, David Faure napisaƂ:
> > I agree (except for the b.k.o shortcut - it's useful for kde users
> > too,
> > not only for developers).
>
> Right.
>
> > Another solution would be a Category entry in the .desktop file, and
> > using this to group shortcuts by category in the kcontrol module (making
> > the listview hierarchical). The actual shortcuts would have to remain
> > unique across categories, of course, to still work in konqueror.
> > Categories would simply make the kcontrol module more useable (well,
> > hopefully...)
>
> Would be nice.
> Buttons: Base, All, Multimedia, Development, Search, Dictionaries.
> Hmm.  Is that all, or any other categories?
>
> But this solution also isn't perfect - too many buttons and again it
> will be barely usable :)

The original intention was not to have so many shortcuts to begin with. That
is why we made it easy to add your own. We thought there would be a few basic
entries and the rest could be downloaded as a pack or individually from some
site. In other words, we meant to provide a means to import new shortcuts
much like you can with the icons. Unfortunately noone got around to
implementing that. As a result, everyone simply kept on adding their favorite
web shortcut instead of simply sharing them on a central website. I still
think this the only way to avoid this from getting out of hand. Well perhaps
it already has... Personally, I probably use 1% of all the shortcuts that are
currently installed in my system.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.