/. : machine learning for FireFox2

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Sun Jul 11 11:14:43 BST 2004

Hello,

Probably some of you already spotted this on Slashdot.

First of all: amazing how many of requested features are already in
Konq :)

But still there are some interesting ideas:

- Make it so when the user hits the Page Down key, a horizontal line
appears
for a few seconds where the old bottom of the page was, then fades away. So
when you're reading long sections of text and hit Page Down, your eye can
quickly scan to where you left off.

MM: I rarely use PgDown because of losing track of text. It could be
done KDE-wide to use in all apps - Koffice, Kate, etc.

- Currently, if I start typing URL in the address bar, it matches URLs
alphabetically. This gets very annoying at times, especially if you
accidentally type giigle.com instead of google.com and then it keeps on
matching giggle.com for weeks when I type "g".

This problem can be fixed by using frequency count with some time decay.
For
example, if I went to google.com 100 times within last week and once to
giggle.com, then match to google.com on "g". If, however, I went to
giigle.com
5 times recently, then match to giigle.com

While one might argue that this makes the algorithm unpredictable from
user's
standpoint, in my experience people keep on typing until they see the
correct
match. So, this way they'll see the right match sooner on average.

MM: True. _Once_ I made a mistake trying to go to p:lanetkde.org and
after few weeks this is still the first match when inserting p as the
first letter.

- "1. Keep track of how users enlarge/reduce the font size: if sites that
use a
10 point font are repeatedly enlarged to 14 or 16 point then it is fairly
safe
to assume that the user has poor eyesight and all sites with tiny text
should
automatically be sized up."

MM: As someone with stron myopia I can confirm that (problem is more
visible on gecko based machines, where small fonts are really small).

KDE from CVS-HEAD.

m.

ps. I am heading to bko, but maybe some points are worth discussion.
Vim HTML Templates http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=988
vim.pl - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj
VimGDB - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimgdb