search bar floats

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 2 00:30:19 BST 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:03:22AM +0200, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Dnia czwartek, 1 lipca 2004 22:13, Koos Vriezen napisaƂ:
> > > I'd say it is part of wider problem: toolbars in KDE (and especially
> > > in Konq) can be completely unpredictable. Also ways to control them
> > > are too limited - MS-Office is perfect.
> >
> > As this thread started with such an unpredictable thing (which is
> > fixed now), you might get a developers attention if you actually mention
> > a concrete case (or did you expect him to doing an one-to-one comparison
> > between MS-Office and konqueror).
>
> Conrecte case?
Thanks, below seems concrete enough. Gives something to talk about. Just
saying something is better w/o saying what (esp. if likely nobody here
uses it) does not improve things for konqueror IMO

> I cannot force Konq to place addressbar toolbar next to main toolbar.
> Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Even if I succeed, save as profile
> after few days it rearranges itself.

Hmm, but main toolbar has a QSpacerItem to keep the spinning button right...
doesn't work for other toolbars too...indeed I recall this working in the
past.

> What I liked in MS-Office?
> Possibility to create new toolbars, new buttons. Attach almost
> everything to it. With these (and bit of VBA) I could turn MS-Word in
> quite decent HTML editor.

Yes, that would be very cool if apps could be extended by scripts. This is
already doable with kjsembed IIRC. So far as I understand it, it does mean
however, that exposed object to the script should use the signal/slot or
property that Qt offers and signal/slot is limited to a few signatures only.
Hmm..me thinking of any usage :-)...ok a script that turns all files to
lowercase, or that kills all flash/java applets...
So this would mean an 'Available action' that stays available and has a
way to attach a script to it, preferable interactive for method iteration
and on-the-fly debugging/testing. It's a 'Configure Toolbars' extention, so
all applications would benefit.
Wow, where can get a copy of MS-Office :-) Seriously, this sounds nice indeed.

Koos