RFC: change font sizes

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Jan 31 17:17:08 GMT 2004

Well, you said:

> > Take a look at http://ktown.kde.org/~coolo/fonts1.jpeg, there
> > I took a picture of IE, mozilla and a konqueror with 10pt and
> > one with 12pt medium font size.

10pt and 12pt are _NOT_ pixel sizes AT ALL. They are points. And points have a
lot to do with DPIs, but cannot be mapped to pixel sizes until you know this
DPI value.

> BTW: In mozilla you can customize the resolution used. But as this isn't
> per website, you don't win anything with this either I guess.

Actually, you win a lot. It allows you to chose between typographical
correctness (enter the real DPI value), the Windows setting (96 DPI) or the
Mac value (72 DPI).

It would be nice to mark broken sites and adjust the DPI to 96 or even 72 DPI
for them, but generally I have little issues with the font sizes these days.
In the past KHTML used to be much worse.

<OT>

Perhaps KPersonalizer should add a wizard like Gimp has to properly determine
the DPI setting? ;) (Ideally YaST knows that my monitor is 19 inch and that
I'm running 1280x1024 and calculate the DPI off that, but that's another
issue and way out of KDE's league.)

</OT>

--
Martijn