context menu in webbrowser: image link

Fabian Wolf Fabian.Wolf at informatik.uni-ulm.de
Tue Jan 13 12:58:57 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 13:16, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> [...]
> Now discuss points:
>
> Open in new window - OK
> Open in new tab    - OK
> Bookmark this link - OK
> Save link as...    - not OK
> 	*Where and what* copy? After experiment I discovered it is link href
> 	value copied to clipboard. And here we are 1st problem:
> 		Save link as... copies *target* not link as it is understood in
> 		this point.
> 	2nd problem: where copy? Here probably I am looking issues where
> 	they don't exist but still... I am proposing changing names of these
> 	two points to respectively:
> 		Save target as...
> 			differentiate with previous point)

I fully agree with you on these two ("Save link as" and "Copy link location").
But not on the following ones:

> Open with
> 	Open *what*?
> 		Open target with

The "what" is what I did the mouse click on. No question 'bout that.
I click on something and get to chose "Open with" or "Preview in"... I don't
think there's anything a user wouldn't understand.
If it wasn't clear, why didn't you suggest to turn "Open in new window" in
"Open target in new window"? Right, because it's all clear!

> Preview in ...
> 	Preview *what*?
> 		Preview target in

Same here...

> Actions
> 	Actions on *what*?
> 		Actions (target)

Hmm,... I don't like "actions" at all. Everything I can chose in those menus
has some sort of action associated.
I'd prefer: "More options", "Other actions" ... something like that.

> View Document Source - unnecessary action, doesn't apply to link. This
> 	is _link_ context menu. (can be removed from 3.2?)

Agree.

> View Image (interviews.gif)
> 	Maybe 'Open Image' would be better?

I prefer "view", b/c of the following reason:
My girlfriend who is pretty new to computers thinks it's better ;)
Wanna know why?
Because "view" seems more intuitive - she doesn't understand why to open up
yet another application just to _view_ something she can already see (when
right-clicking on it). It doesn't matter if this is what's happening though,
another application pops up and shows the picture. But why in the world "open
a picture" or image - all she wants to do is view it.

Just my 5ยข,

Cheers,
Fabian