context menu in webbrowser: image link

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Tue Jan 13 12:16:59 GMT 2004

Hello,

This is summary of short discussion on kde-usability about context menus
for links and images as links.

Disclaimer: I _know_ about feature/string freeze and understand it won't
be applied instantly but I hope it will be introduced for 3.3

Looks like last round of 'Context Menu Wars' brought cleaning not in all
aspects. One of the remaining elements are RMB menus on links:

I.
link
	Currently:
		Open in new window
		Open in new tab
		Bookmark this link
		Save link as...
		Open with
		Preview in Embedded text editor
		Actions
		View document source

Now discuss points:

Open in new window - OK
Open in new tab    - OK
Bookmark this link - OK
Save link as...    - not OK
	*Where and what* copy? After experiment I discovered it is link href
	value copied to clipboard. And here we are 1st problem:
		Save link as... copies *target* not link as it is understood in
		this point.
	2nd problem: where copy? Here probably I am looking issues where
	they don't exist but still... I am proposing changing names of these
	two points to respectively:
		Save target as...
			differentiate with previous point)

Open with
	Open *what*?
		Open target with

Preview in ...
	Preview *what*?
		Preview target in

Actions
	Actions on *what*?
		Actions (target)

View Document Source - unnecessary action, doesn't apply to link. This
	is _link_ context menu. (can be removed from 3.2?)

After those corrections link context menu:

		Open in new window
		Open in new tab
		Bookmark this link
		Save target as...
		Open target with
		Preview target in Embedded text editor
		Actions (target)

There is additional problem with 'Copy/Move To >' thing. This is
external plug-in and I understand there is no way to remove it from
menus. But maybe is possible to provide way to make this names also
contextual?  Eg. in .desktop files (easier to modify?).

II.

Image and link in one

Current state:

		Open in new window
		Open in new tab
		Bookmark this link
		Save link as...
		Open with
		Preview in Embedded text editor
		Actions
		Save Image As...
		Send Image
		Copy Image Location
		View Image (interviews.gif)
		View document source

Up to this point all previous comments apply. Here are image elements:

Save Image As... - OK
Send Image       - OK
Copy Image Location - location in image context has more sense than
	in link context, but:
		Copy Image Location to clipboard

View Image (interviews.gif)
	Maybe 'Open Image' would be better?

Please add:

	'Image Properties (interviews.gif)
	+ in familiar properties window add Web informations tab with:
		values of img tag attributes: title, alt, width, height. It
		should apply also to 'normal' images.

And drop 'View document source'.

After correction:

		Open in new window