Is ".mp2" a valid extension for Layer2 and why does KDE not support it?

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Mon Aug 30 11:31:43 BST 2004

Hi,
my DVB (digital video broadcast from Sat/Cable/Terr.) software creates MPEG
Layer2 files for radio recordings. Layer2 is the original data format that is
broadcasted. Unfortunately at some places in KDE ".mp2" is not fully
supported (kfm in KDE 3.3 does not show meta-info for example). Some tools
that can play Layer2 are not registered for the ".mp2" extension. Should I
save the data as ".mp2" or as ".mp3"? Unfortunately in KDE 3.2 arts (noatune)
gets confused by ".mp3" containing Layer2 data. Any ideas?

Jürgen