[kde] KMail&MozillaFirebird

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Nov 11 21:32:27 GMT 2003

On Tue November 11 2003 21:59, David Faure wrote:

> > > Control Center/Kde Components/File Associations/text/html
> > >
> > > Although I find this an incredibly BAD place.  There ought to be
> > > somewhere
 that says, what program do use to process HTTP protocol,
> > > without regard to what the file type is.
> >

> > Yes, I fully agree.
>

> Ah. This again...... It leaves me uncertain:
> If we have something saying "use application A for HTTP"
> and something else (the mimetype associations) saying "use application B
> for text/html",
 which one do we launch?
> OK in such a case you'll say A, I want mozilla or whatever for HTTP.
>
> But what happens when it's an image, a text file, a PS file, or a KWord
> file over HTTP?

That's irrelevant because we will pass the URL along before ever finding out
what the actual content is.

> I think browsers might be an exception

Yes, that is what we are talking about.

> Might be better to only support this for http[s], by adding a browser
> choice
 in componentchooser.

Yes.

> The default choice being _nothing_, not
> Konqueror, so that by default a HTTP url pointing to a PS file opens
> directly in kghostview like it does now. Putting something there would
> break this behavior, but only over HTTP, and would allow people to (more
> easily) use a different browser than konqueror.

Yes, the default should be "<based on mimetype>" and then let KIO/KRun figure
it out, like we do now.

Cheers,
Waldo
- --