[kde] KMail&MozillaFirebird

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Nov 11 20:59:28 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 21:21, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tue November 11 2003 14:05, David Corbin wrote:
> > > Where to set up %u ?
> >
> > Control Center/Kde Components/File Associations/text/html
> >
> > Although I find this an incredibly BAD place.  There ought to be somewhere
> > that says, what program do use to process HTTP protocol, without regard to
> > what the file type is.
>
> Yes, I fully agree.

Ah. This again...... It leaves me uncertain:
If we have something saying "use application A for HTTP"
and something else (the mimetype associations) saying "use application B for text/html",
which one do we launch?
OK in such a case you'll say A, I want mozilla or whatever for HTTP.

But what happens when it's an image, a text file, a PS file, or a KWord file over HTTP?
If the above is done "as is", then the wrong program will be launched.
At best it'll offer to "open with the right application or save" (it's still pretty useless
to go through a browser just to fire up the right application, and basically this breaks
the whole idea of network transparency); at worse the application will have no
clue what to do with the given file it can't handle.

I think browsers might be an exception - but most apps are not ready to be
thrown "any mimetype" at.
Which doesn't prevent implementing this, of course, but if done very generally
(associate any app with any protocol), this gives just many more ways for
users to shoot themselves in the foot by configuring things wrongly.

Might be better to only support this for http[s], by adding a browser choice
in componentchooser. The default choice being _nothing_, not Konqueror,
so that by default a HTTP url pointing to a PS file opens directly in kghostview
like it does now. Putting something there would break this behavior, but only
over HTTP, and would allow people to (more easily) use a different browser
than konqueror.