Icons Layout and Previews

Luís Pedro Coelho luis at luispedro.org
Thu Nov 6 15:17:04 GMT 2003

Hi,

Le Thursday 06 November 2003 13:48, Benoit Walter a écrit :
> For the other test, I wrote a small bash script that does what you
> explained, but I don't really see the point, why recreate 1000 times the
> same empty file? Is it related to my patch? No preview should be generated
> for an empty file...

Sorry, I didn't explain myself enough.

file.png is supposed to exist. The "touch" just causes the thumbnail to be
regenerated and the files to be rearranged.

I can't get the overlapping anymore, but I was just looking at a really funny
effect: under certain circustances, at each "touch file" the picture moves a
bit to the right.

Look at the attached screenshot:
The image on the lower right corner used to be there. I deleted the image to
its left and keep touching it.

I mean, start with:

A B
C D

delete C.

then

repeate 10000 { sleep 1; touch D }

Now, D will move to the right

A B

Until it leaves the screen, at which point it will go under A - place left by
C - and start moving right again, like a typewriter. The snapshot was taken
at halfway through this route. Could this be a rounding error, where it moves
one pixel per update?

Unlike the previous problem, this one goes away as soon as you resize, so this
is a major improvement over the current CVS behaviour already.

> PS: By the way, what do you think of the solution currently implemented in
> the file save/open dialog? Before starting to generate preview, the icon is
> set to the size of the preview. This avoid updating the view when the
> thumbnail is shown, which means less flickering.

Looks nice. Didn't test it as much yet, though.

regards,
- --
Luis Pedro Coelho

The carrot tax, see: