Trash, Delete, Shred

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 20:29:42 BST 2003

On Saturday 28 June 2003 13:53, Dawit A. wrote:
> On Saturday 28 June 2003 09:58, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 June 2003 14:18, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> > > Sounds like a similar deal to Max Howell. If the trash automatically
> > > offered to delete everything once it hit a certain size quota, would
> > > you then feel able to "just hit delete" without worrying about how big
> > > the file was?
> >
> > Problem with this is that a single large file (such as an iso, or film)
> > can end up wiping out everything in the trash because the single file is
> > so big. When you didn't even want it to go to the trash in the first
> > place, this would be kindof annoying.
>
> Why not simply imitate real life ?  In real life if you keep putting  trash
> into a trash can it will eventually fill up.  When this happens it does not
> automatically offer you to empty itself, thought this would be a nice idea
> for a trash robot, you have to empty it yourself.  If you ingore this and
> continue to add more stuff, it will simply end up outside of the trash can.
>
> What this means to me is that if there is going to be a quota on the trash
> can, it should allow you to move stuff into it until it fills up.  After
> that it should refuse any attempts to put more stuff into it.  The
> application should then warn the user that the trash can is full and
> present the user with actions he/she can take.  This IMHO would be very
> simple and straight forward.
>
> Regards,
> Dawit A.

Hi Dawit:

I am simply a lurker on this list, but your suggestion does sound good to me.
What options do you see if the trashcan is full?

- Remove oldest files first [FIFO]?
- Make the trash can bigger?
- "stuff" it into the trash can anyway?
- Others?

Also, in "real life" we would always shred all of paperwork when we emptied
the trash.  I would personally find this a very useful option.

Sincerely,

Mike