Trash, Delete, Shred

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sat Jun 28 22:58:30 BST 2003

On Saturday 28 June 2003 15:29, Michael S. Mikowski wrote:
> Hi Dawit:
>
> I am simply a lurker on this list, but your suggestion does sound good to
> me. What options do you see if the trashcan is full?
>
> - Remove oldest files first [FIFO]?
> - Make the trash can bigger?
> - "stuff" it into the trash can anyway?
> - Others?

IMHO we should always adopt the KISS principle whenever possible.  This means
the dialog box should simple look something like this:

Could not move the file(s) to the trash can because it is full.

Do you want to delete the file(s) instead ? Once deleted the file(s)
cannot be recovered from the trash can.

[ ] Don't show this message

				[Yes] [No]

> Also, in "real life" we would always shred all of paperwork when we emptied
> the trash.  I would personally find this a very useful option.

Not everybody does this and the idea of shreding in the real world is
completely different than that of the digital one. See the current debate
about the existing "Shred" feature in konqueror.  Sherding can be done with
some degree of reliability in the real world whereas such action cannot be
guaranteed for magnetic storage medium.  The only reliable way to completely
destroy information from a hard drive is to dismantle it and burn the
platters IIRC.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.