Konqueror behaviour when you are =?iso-8859-1?q?offline

Andras Mantia amantia at freemail.hu
Wed Jun 18 12:31:14 BST 2003

Hi
 (offtopic: something still messes up the mails from time to time).

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 02:07, Dawit A. wrote:
> ?=
> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:07:31 -0400
> Cc: amantia at freemail.hu

> On Tuesday 17 June 2003 12:39, Andras Mantia wrote:
[...]
> > Does it have to do with some cache synchronization issue? I haven't
> > investigated it in detail, but maybe the pages are trying to auto-reload
> > themselves and the connection is not available anymore.
>
> This is the most likely cause.  There are two ways to counter this:
>
> 1.) Disable automatic redirection/reload in konqueror's config dialog.
> Settings->Configure Konqueror->Behavior (Web) and uncheck the
> "Allow automatic delayed reloading/redirection."
Well, this might help, but you lose some functionality by disabling this.

> 2.) Click on the stop button if it still enabled and the "rotating gear" is
> not animated. Doing so will stop all pending redirection/reload requests.
I'm quite sure that the stop button was not enabled and the gear wasn't
rotating.

> > Anyway I think Konqueror should handle such situation and keep the page
> > somehow.
>
> Don't see how, but you can use either one of the above methods...
>
> > Another offline browsing issue is that I can't save the page or an image
> > after I close the connection. This is also annoying. Doesn't Konqueror
> > keep a local version of the file?
>
> This probably depends on your cache setting.  Have you properly set that ?
I had to think about what does the "properly" means. I've played with those,
but only when I was offline, so I couldn't notice any change. Right now I set
to "Use cache if possible" and it works as expected. I still think that
Konqueror should save/print/view the source for the page what and as you see,
and it shouldn't reload before such actions, as you might end up with a
different content that you have expected. The behavior in this case really
shouldn't depend on the cache settings.

Andras

- --