Konqueror behaviour when you are =?iso-8859-1?q?offline

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Wed Jun 18 00:07:49 BST 2003

?=
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:07:31 -0400
Cc: amantia at freemail.hu

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 12:39, Andras Mantia wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I've found an annoying problem with Konqueror. I usually browse the web by
> opening a lot of pages, closing the dial-up connection and reading the
> pages later. Often I have to go somewhere else, so the PC is left there
> with many pages open in Konqueror. With some pages after a time I "lose"
> the content and see only an error message, like:
> An error occured while loading
> http://www.elvira.hu/elvira.dll/vt?v=3303&d=03.08.27:
>

> Unknown host www.elvira.hu
>
> The back button is not active, so it basicly means that I can't read the
> previously opened page.
>

> Does it have to do with some cache synchronization issue? I haven't
> investigated it in detail, but maybe the pages are trying to auto-reload
> themselves and the connection is not available anymore.

This is the most likely cause.  There are two ways to counter this:

1.) Disable automatic redirection/reload in konqueror's config dialog.
Settings->Configure Konqueror->Behavior (Web) and uncheck the
"Allow automatic delayed reloading/redirection."

2.) Click on the stop button if it still enabled and the "rotating gear" is
not animated. Doing so will stop all pending redirection/reload requests.

> Anyway I think Konqueror should handle such situation and keep the page
> somehow.

Don't see how, but you can use either one of the above methods...

> Another offline browsing issue is that I can't save the page or an image
> after I close the connection. This is also annoying. Doesn't Konqueror keep
> a local version of the file?

This probably depends on your cache setting.  Have you properly set that ?

--
Regards,
Dawit A.