Konqueror delete unification

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 18:37:59 BST 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 12:42, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Well, like I said, we had a long usability discussion and then I wrote
> the patch! So, if you want something different, you are going to have to
> write a different one.

For which you should be richly rewarded!  I applaud your efforts.
Unfortunately, I don't know C++ and can't offer a patch.  All I can do is
lurk and offer my experiences :(

> That said, I am not sure I am convinced by your arguments.
> (1) I know there are many users who like the ability to store files in
> the trash, or decide not to. With this patch, you can still do that. It
> just is a keyboard shortcut not a RMB action.

Honestly, I'm not arguing, just musing.  I thought you might appreciate
another view point from a lurker.

I *do* think it would be good to retain the RMB option -- the keyboard-only
approach might lose 80-90% of the general population.  And this is the KDE
target market, right?  This population wants the ability to decide to delete
versus move to trash; it just doesn't know it yet :P

> (2) I don't think it is going to be possible to "intelligently" decide
> when to issue this "file too big" warning. It depends too much on
> different user preferences, box configurations etc.

I agree that this is impossible to intelligently decide this for all
configurations.  However, I did suggest a user configurable option, where the
default is some number ( say 25MB ) would be sane for 95% of the boxes out
there.

In summary, if you patch again, I hope you find these insights useful.

Cheers,

Mike