KDirLister keeps mounted devices in use

Chris Kuhi kdelists at kuhi.net
Wed Jan 8 12:44:14 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 12:50, Michael Brade wrote:
> Ahh, very good, that was easy. So it means probably_slow_mounted is
> everything not automounted or nfs. Thus, detecting cdrom and floppy should
> work perfectly.
>
> Hmm. But the cool feature about KDirWatch is, that it works on nfs as well.
> What a pity... so on every request, we need to check the nfs-dir again. My
> university mounts everything nfs, hope one won't notice the change.
> Otherwise I'll add a method KIO::is_automounted or the like and use that
> instead. Ok?
>
> And mounting hds by hand should not happen too often, I guess. So that's
> fine.
>
> Comments? Otherwise I'll just use KIO::probably_slow_mounted. Thanks Waldo!

I'm not able to follow this discussion completeley since I don't know the code
in question so I need to ask: will probably_slow_mounted catch usb-mounted
media, e.g. pendrives?  I noticed exactly this problem when inserting a
pendrive in a Knoppix system:
1)insert pendrive
2)icon for e.g. sda1 appears on the desktop
3)clicking on the icon mounts the pendrive and opens a konq window
4)attempting to unmount the drive now always results in a busy notification.

The only way to unmount is by killing the appropriate kdeinit process (by
checking lsof).  It may be redundant, but maybe the code for unmounting via
kdesktop icons should include a check with lsof (or equivalent) to see if the
path is only 'quietly' open in the cache.

regards,
--
Chris Kuhi
Email: chris at kuhi.net