mouse gesture in konqueror 3.0.3

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Sep 17 16:17:57 BST 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 16:27, Scott Wheeler wrote:
>  Sergio Borghese wrote:
> > Hello to everyone,
> >
> > this week I modified the sources of the kde-3.0.3 to introduce in the
> > konqueror the mouse gesture feature.
> > Right now my modified version seem's to work. I would like to know how to
> > submit  a patch,  if the kde developers  are interested at all in this
> > feature.

 Damn. I hoped people would keep only talking about this for a few more
months.

> Lubos already has the ability to bind (arbitrary) mouse gestures to
> (arbitrary) DCOP calls in KHotKeys.  It is also written as a KControl
> module.  I don't know what his plans are -- i.e. if this is going to be
> integrated into KDE CVS at some point, but if so, it might make more sense
> to bind these gestures to some of the relevant DCOP calls.
>
> (http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/en/khotkeys/)

 It was actually supposed to go in KDE CVS since KDEx.y (2.1<=x.y<=3.1,
depending on which version was the next upcoming stable version - yes, this
is sooo lame). The snapshot available at the URL is already quite usable, and
it's supposed to go in KDE3.2 (this time for real, honest).

> My personal opinion is that sending users digging through the Konq DCOP
> interface is a bit harsh (since I didn't find basic navigation things --
> forward, back, etc. -- in about a minute of looking), so it might be nice
> to have a configuration widget that serves as a layer of sheilding (for the
> users protection :-) ) to common DCOP calls (in Konq and elsewhere).  For
> example "Open a New Window in Konqueror" is a little nicer than
> "konqueror-15566 KonquerorIface createNewWindow ...".  ;-)

 It doesn't map the gestures just to DCOP calls, it can map them to whatever
action KHotKeys can do, including running a command/URL, or performing a
keyboard input - which is exactly what I do for gestures. So for making Konqy
gesture '65456'. The snapshot even includes a sample config file with some
preconfigured actions, including a couple of Konqy gestures, and I plan the
stable version to include such actions, maybe only some of them disabled by
default.

> Anyway -- just thought I would let it be know that something similar
> exists. I don't know if that has any impact on the current effort.

 I didn't see the patch, but I'm assuming it's strictly Konqy-only. KHotKeys
can be used for anything (xterm with gestures >;) ). On the other hand, when
handled by a standalone application, it may probably rarely behave not 100%
reliably, e.g. when the computer is under heavy load.

> Also, I am not on this list and I don't know if Lubos is.  It might be
> worthwhile to CC us in on replies on this thread.

 I've subscribed.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer