mouse gesture in konqueror 3.0.3

Sergio Borghese sergico at libero.it
Tue Sep 17 19:20:26 BST 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 15:17, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  Damn. I hoped people would keep only talking about this for a few more
> months.

Sorry, It was not my intention to "stole" your work, I searched for mouse
gesture on the mailing list but I found nothing it seems to me as a work in
progress on the argument (maybe I made the search the wrong way :( )
So I decided to try to write something, just for fun and programming exercise,
I'm not a professional programmer.
I modified the source of both khtml in kdelib and konqueror in kdebase, so
there it's konqueror only.
Im not satisfied by the interface I wrote, and I will have to study the
konquer architecture to find a better way to bind the gesture to the actions.

>  It was actually supposed to go in KDE CVS since KDEx.y (2.1<=x.y<=3.1,
> depending on which version was the next upcoming stable version - yes, this
> is sooo lame). The snapshot available at the URL is already quite usable,
> and it's supposed to go in KDE3.2 (this time for real, honest).
>
> > My personal opinion is that sending users digging through the Konq DCOP
> > interface is a bit harsh (since I didn't find basic navigation things --
> > forward, back, etc. -- in about a minute of looking), so it might be nice
> > to have a configuration widget that serves as a layer of sheilding (for
> > the users protection :-) ) to common DCOP calls (in Konq and elsewhere).
> > For example "Open a New Window in Konqueror" is a little nicer than
> > "konqueror-15566 KonquerorIface createNewWindow ...".  ;-)
>
>  It doesn't map the gestures just to DCOP calls, it can map them to
> whatever action KHotKeys can do, including running a command/URL, or
> performing a keyboard input - which is exactly what I do for gestures. So
> for making Konqy go back on mouse go_left_go_right, it's configured to
> input 'Alt+Left' on gesture '65456'. The snapshot even includes a sample
> config file with some preconfigured actions, including a couple of Konqy
> gestures, and I plan the stable version to include such actions, maybe only
> some of them disabled by default.
>
> > Anyway -- just thought I would let it be know that something similar
> > exists. I don't know if that has any impact on the current effort.

Thanks, but as I say, I made it just for fun, so it's no problem, I posted to
have a feedback to learn more...

>  I didn't see the patch, but I'm assuming it's strictly Konqy-only.
> KHotKeys can be used for anything (xterm with gestures >;) ). On the other
> hand, when handled by a standalone application, it may probably rarely
> behave not 100% reliably, e.g. when the computer is under heavy load.

You are right, I modified the source of the konqueror, I was not thinking of
something more general, I only found very cool the mozilla gesture a friend
showed to me... :)
I will go to see your code as soon as possible.
I finished to modify the source code late this night, and this moorning I
discover a bug that cause a crash in the konqueror when a new window is
opened, not goot :(
I have some ideas on the reason why, I will try to fix it tonight.

I will post the patch anyway so I could receive some feedback and suggestions
Please don't be scared by my programming style... :)
I promise I will study the kde architecture soon...