mouse gesture in konqueror 3.0.3

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Sep 17 15:27:32 BST 2002

 Sergio Borghese wrote:

> Hello to everyone,
>
> this week I modified the sources of the kde-3.0.3 to introduce in the
> konqueror the mouse gesture feature.
> Right now my modified version seem's to work. I would like to know how to
> submit  a patch,  if the kde developers  are interested at all in this
> feature.
>
> Regards
>
> Sergio "33%" Boghese
>
> P.S. I'm NOT a subscriber of the kfm-devel mailing list, so please, send
> the answer also to my personal email, and if this is the write mailing
> list to deal about the argument, I will be very happy to subscibe. Thanks

Lubos already has the ability to bind (arbitrary) mouse gestures to
(arbitrary) DCOP calls in KHotKeys.  It is also written as a KControl
module.  I don't know what his plans are -- i.e. if this is going to be
integrated into KDE CVS at some point, but if so, it might make more sense
to bind these gestures to some of the relevant DCOP calls.

(http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/en/khotkeys/)

My personal opinion is that sending users digging through the Konq DCOP
interface is a bit harsh (since I didn't find basic navigation things --
forward, back, etc. -- in about a minute of looking), so it might be nice
to have a configuration widget that serves as a layer of sheilding (for the
users protection :-) ) to common DCOP calls (in Konq and elsewhere).  For
example "Open a New Window in Konqueror" is a little nicer than
"konqueror-15566 KonquerorIface createNewWindow ...".  ;-)

Anyway -- just thought I would let it be know that something similar exists.
I don't know if that has any impact on the current effort.

Also, I am not on this list and I don't know if Lubos is.  It might be
worthwhile to CC us in on replies on this thread.

Cheers,

-Scott