Cookie Management... (fwd)

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Fri Oct 11 05:46:07 BST 2002

Hello,

A cookie dialog cannot be made non-modal for one basis reason.  It completely
defeats the purpose of why cookies are needed in the first place :(  The idea
behind adding support for "cookies" into the HTTP protocol is to make a
session-less protocol, which HTTP is, into one that has rudimentary support
for sessions.

Why is keep track of a user's session important ?  For the same reason they
are provided in KDE when you log out. The site(s) you visit have to be able
to track which information they need to present you with next.  This is the
main intention.  Of course this idea has been abused to the extent where all
cookies are made to stick around under the guise that you can be
automatically logged in if you revisit the same site(s) within a given
period. If we make the cookie dialog non-modal it would mean that almost
login sites that use cookies for session management (ex: most web-based mail
systems), and many many dynamically generated sites will seize to work
correctly in konqueror.

Now this does not mean that the cookie confirmation dialog cannot be in-lined,
just non-modal. However, it would be at best difficult and require more
overhead to add support for such a feature.  For example, in our case the
cookie dialog has to be re-designed as a kpart so that it can be embedded
into parts much line the "kfind" part.  If it crashes it will take the
browser with it where as today it rarely does that it ever since the
processes are separate.  The http io-slave that handles the request might
crash, but not the browser.  Moreover, the part would have to be made up of a
rich text editor to display the stuff shown in the mock-up.  However this is
done, it will definitely add more overhead than the current solution.

As for one of the ideas suggested: "Delete this cookie when I close this
window."  You will be able to do that and more in KDE 3.1 :)  See the
attached screenshot.  In 3.1 we 've made it such that the cookie dialog comes
up less frequently.  For example, by default we accept the so called
"session-cookies".  These are cookies that do not have any date parameter and
hence are never saved to your hard disk.  Also we no longer accept cookies
from third-party sites.  Only from originating servers.  Though this can
easily be worked around by simply moving the operation from the client side
to the server side and passing the cookie data to a central server for
processing.  However, it is still better than what we had before.  And
finally there is an option that is not on by default that allows you to treat
all incoming cookies as session cookies.  Checking these three new settings
basically allow you to accept all cookies without having to worry about
cookies remaining in your hard disk.  Simply closing your current session
removes all the cookies from memory.  NOTE: there are still some bugs to be
worked out, but your get the idea... :)

Regards,
Dawit A.