Cookie Management... (fwd)

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Oct 10 22:16:42 BST 2002

(Taking this to kde-usability where it is IMO better suited)

On Thursday 10 October 2002 22:59, Keunwoo Lee wrote:
> Someone came across one of my web pages wherein I laud Konqueror's cookie
> handling, and sent me the suggestion below.  I thought I'd forward it to
> the list to put the idea on Konq developers' radar screens.  See the
> mocked-up screenshot in particular.
>
> (My $0.02 is that I like having the current (quasi-)modal dialog because I
> can reflexively hit alt-R; but a non-modal cookie interface would be a
> good idea as the default, with the pop-up dialog as a configurable
> option.)

Apple uses this concept of 'inline' dialogs in a similar way in Mac OS X for
example for the print dialog and I have to admit it's probably one of the
best GUI innovations that OS has brought to the world.

The problem with the cookie dialog however is that it really has to be modal
though because JavaScript can query cookies and some sites use that to detect
whether cookies are enabled or not. Making it non-modal would break that
behaviour.

Well, come to think of it, making it continue loading the page would. There's
no need to make the dialog modal indeed.

(Not snipping the rest for the kde-usability people that don't read kfm-devel)

--
Martijn