MMB opens in new tab

Doug Hanley hanleyman at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 28 23:18:49 BST 2002

On Sunday 28 July 2002 04:07 pm, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Sunday 28 July 2002 11:42, Doug Hanley wrote:
> > Great work, I think it looks really good personally!  And I think
> > having it the same as KWin is a good idea too.  One question, what
> > happens when the tab bar gets too wide, does it play well with those
> > little scroll arrow thingies?
>
> Well, it's repainted (the silly answer) and... looks like shit :) Here's
> the problem, arrows are drawn internally by QTabBar, they're part of a
> private pimpl_ idiom inside QTabBar and displayed inside a private
> method, this all makes it pretty much impossible to change their
> position. Which is why I'm drawing the button before them It wouldn't
> be so bad if not the way arrow buttons are drawn inside QTabBar which
> basically is simple repainting over already drawn tab - meaning the
> button is also drawn over a tab. I could draw a background over the
> part where the button is, but it would look very weird. I though that
> not drawing the tab which is underneath the button and arrows would be
> a reasonable solution but it's not, the tabbar looked very unfriendly
> (the tabs looked as if they were cut off). I'm really not sure what
> would be a good way to do this. Here's how it looks right now:
> http://vortex.bd.psu.edu/~mus11/img/konq2.png
> I'd appreciate it, if some UI design people/artists would come up with a
> reasonable solution. I see three (please keep in mind that in QTabBar
> the arrow buttons will _always_ be at the end of the tabbar):
> 1) (the long way) write our own KTabBar (not inheriting from QTabBar),
> and draw it in whatever way we like it,
> 2) not draw the last tab (looks horrible),
> 3) draw a background over the tabs and underneath the close button and
> arrow buttons,
> 4) solution I haven't thought about.
> I looked at Mozilla - they don't have the arrow buttons, but just keep
> scaling the tabs, and Galeon - (which has close button on every tab),
> and I'm really not sure which way is the best. Any ideas?

Haha, I went through an ordeal very similar to your's :)  In my case, I was
able to get the close button drawn over the arrows, but that didn't help
either.  Yeah, that whole private members thing really sucks, I'm thinking
we're gonna have to rewrite it ourselves.  However, it will give us much more
flexibility over the interface so it might turn out better than we think.
Maybe we should just go ahead and get started on KTabBar or KonqTabBar,
whatever its called... Would you be willing to put some time into that?  I
was thinking we could make the new tab bar more like opera's too, i find
their's to be better for internet browsing.

-- Doug Hanley