<IFRAME> (Re: HTML for KMail ...)

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Tue Jul 23 08:00:40 BST 2002

On Monday 22 July 2002 6:53 pm, Jos van den Oever wrote:
|  On Monday 22 July 2002 16:47, Germain Garand wrote:
|  > Le Lundi 22 Juillet 2002 15:29, Jos van den Oever a écrit :
|  > > On Monday 22 July 2002 16:17, Germain Garand wrote:
|  > > > > anyway, I don't understand why kmail can't use iframe's.
|  > > >
|  > > > Isn't it a proprietary IE "extension" to HTML ? evil... ;)
|  > >
|  > > no, it's html 4
|  > > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html#h-16.5
|  >
|  > damn... yet another urban legend...
|  > I'd better pull out the dust on my specs :/
|  >
|  > G.
|
|  Your comment caused me to read the spec and test the combination of
| <iframe> and xhtml transitional a bit. <iframe> does not exist in my
| favourite: xhtml strict.

Therefor, there is no need for <iframe> in well-written HTML/XHTML code.

Note that <embed> and <applet> are also deprecated.
Both also replaced by <object>.

|  I found a small bug: an empty iframe (<iframe src="www.kde.org"/> ignores
| all text after it. This is not the case for <iframe
| src="www.kde.org"></iframe>.

I am not sure if your example is o.k.
I think correct code is:

 <iframe src="www.kde.org">
 this text would be displayed if browser doesn't support IFRAME
</iframe>.

You close <ifram> *too early*, and there is no way browser not supporting
IFRAME can render your example.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)